Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Six Degrees of Bloggeration

My good friend, Faith (who also happens to be an amazing Pilates coach and wonderful Mom, Wife and all-around human) had a great suggestion:

Someone should start a blog that will simply show us how many known blogs, in multiples of six, it would take to connect all the blogs in the blogosphere. I suspect she is right - we are all a lot more interconnected than we could imagine.

Here's how this will work:

I've listed out 6 blogs that I visit often. (see below)

I've asked those 6 bloggers to visit here and list 6 blogs that they know of. And, "my 6" should contact "their 6" and ask them to post "THEIR 6" HERE on THIS blog as a comment (and including in their post who referred them)....and so on. I'll keep track of the lists of 6 blogs as they come in, including date of addition and which other blog referred them to the 6-degrees experiment. I will try to find a way to draw a "hub map" like what they have on "The L Word", in the meantime.

We need to try to limit repetition, for this to be most effective. So if you see a blog on our Bloggeration list, below, pick a different one.

OK - Here's my 6 - check 'em out....and comment back with 6 of your own fave blogs:

Faith's Big Ideas: bigideas4u.blogspot.com (6/10: Girl on a Road: This is the woman who provided the idea for "6-Degrees of Bloggeration"! She's such an inspiration to me on so many different levels. In addition to having some great ideas of her own and being generally witty and entertaining, her blog links alone provide hours of fun reading!)

Midlife Clarity: mid-lifeclarity.blogspot.com (6/10: Girl on a Road: I found Janet's blog by accident, searching for blogs that include Melissa Ferrick and dog training...and it turns out, Janet has lots of other interesting stuff to say!)

Baby's Breath Midwifery: babysbreathmidwifery.blogspot.com (6/10: Girl on a Road: I found Laura's blog also by accident, as I was trying to research efficacy of some PR support I had done for her sister, Erika Luckett. There must be something in the Luckett family jeans, because, although they have chosen different career paths, these two women are such amazing spirits - all about the miraculous connectivity of the universe. I just love them.)

You Tour Like a Girl: youtourlikeagirl.blogspot.com (6/10: Girl on a Road: This is my friend Wendy's blog, she is a tour manager for a great musician - Trina Hamlin - and regularly updates this blog with tales of their adventures.)

Jillian's Blog: jillianobriensblog.blogspot.com (6/10: Girl on a Road: Jillian is one of my very best friends. She has been on an adventure of healing for the past 6-7 months. Her journey, strength, and outlook are remarkable.)

Martine Locke's blog: martinelocke.com/blog/blog.html (6/10 Girl on a Road: Martine is a kick-ass musician. However, I read her blog because she is so open and wise and inspiring - she illustrates for me again and again how universal some things are. Yay Mardi!)




OK - and, because I can....I'm including one extra:

Just Eat your Cupcake : just-eat-your-cupcake.blogspot.com (6/10: Girl on a Road: I found Maria's blog on Janet's list of blog links. Her perspective and style of writing really resonates with me)

9 comments:

Faith said...

Here are six blogs I know of. And like.

1. So Anyway (http://piggyhawk.wordpress.com/)
This is the blog of a writing community friend of mine from the website and Literary Journal, Toasted Cheese. Eden is an excellent editor, a very cool chick, and has appeared on Good Morning America as she is involved in legalities that have something to do with You Tube, her cute kid dancing around, and a Prince song. The music publishing people think her baby should have to pay to use Prince music to make a music video, or something like that.

Erin-Go-Blog (http://eringoblog.net/) Another editor/writer friend from Toasted Cheese. She's getting married soon. Look up the Rumi poem she posted on her blog--it's being read at her wedding. It's comforting to know that's how much love she is in. That some people are still in that much love, ya' know?

Instant Comma (http://instantcomma.blogspot.com/) This guy Marck hasn't posted to his blog since the end of NaNoWriMo last year, but still, he's got a nice list of music and book choices to peruse, and tons of pics of his cute girls there on his flickr feed. Read back. You'll see he's funny and talented. Maybe tell him he should update once in a while, between short stories and arugula recipes. Make sure you say write on *this* blog. Just like that, with the astericks. He'll get it.

Confessions of a Pioneer Woman (http://thepioneerwoman.com/confessions/) This is a popular blog. It's just lovely. The photography is great and some of those how-to recipe posts are amazingly clear! I don't personally know the author, so I hope she will pop in here and give a nod to six others.

Angry Chicken (http://angrychicken.typepad.com/) Again, don't personally know the author. But when you visit, you'll see why I it there. Found this blog on the blog roll at my final entry here, the blog that inspired my own Big Ideas Blog, and many thousands of other projects I might add:

52 Projects (http://www.52projects.com/) Pretty much genius, I think. In a very simple package. I envy that simplicity, and the impact this 52 Projects idea has had on so many people.

Martine Locke said...

okay.....here I go, trying for 6 - not sure if I can do it, might have to steal one of yours...seeing as I cant put myself and don't regularily read 6

http://www.superherodesigns.com/journal/ - my friend Andrea who is a great jewelery designer and photographer. Also chornicles some of her struggles with getting pregnant (which she did) and then being a mom (which she now is!!)

http://www.jengray.com - another mate who is a kick ass photographer and is honest in her journey

doah...that's all i read regularily right this second...let me think on it more and I will repost!!! (aside from wendy's, which I can't put up here!!)

see you saturday!!

Maria said...

Interesting idea.

My six favorite blogs are:

1) smallglassplanet.blogspot.com/
This is Dive from England. He is spot on hilarious, a little raunchy but always intelligent. A great read and my first stop of the day.

2)charmingdelightful.blogspot.com?
This is Jill from Chicago. She is married with two young sons and just neurotic enough that we spend lots of time e-mailing each other about how similar our weirdnesses are.

3)katediggins.blogspot.com?
Kate is a suburban mom with two kids in Utah. At first, I assumed that she was Mormon, but after reading her blog, I realized that she was just plain kick ass cool.

4) ramblingrebecca.blogspot.com/
Rebecca is married with a son, a workaholic and takes far better care of herself than I do, but I like her anyway.

5) nwnm.blogspot.com/
Stacy is one of two republicans that I allow on my blog. I met her when I first started blogging and we remind each other that we can be very, very different and still find lots to respect and like in each other. She makes me think and I make her do the same.

6) tteroni.blogspot.com/
Terroni is a med student from Ohio. She is me about twenty years ago and I am like her big sister. She is the smart, sassy little sister that I never had.

Thanks for singling me out. I hope you get lots of replies....

Anonymous said...

Hi! Erin, of erin-go-blog here...Faith sent me over, and so here I am to post my six blogs:

1. All Things Jennifer (http://allthingsjennifer.wordpress.com)
Jen is a real life friend--we've been friends since our first year of college. We were roommates for the subsequent three years. I moved to Buffalo because of her. Her blog is funny, honest, and always entertaining.

2. Superfluous Juxtaposition
(http://superjux.com)
Hilary is a Jewish gal who lives in LA. We connected because we were living somewhat parallel lives on opposite sides of the country. We turned 30 at the same time. ;)

3. Dispensing Happiness
(http://thehappysorceress.blogspot.com/)
Stephanie is a very old friend of mine. She's a very active food blogger, and I love reading about what she's cooking!

4. Byzantium's Shores
(http://byzantiumshores.blogspot.com/)
Kelly is smart, interesting, and lots of fun to read. He writes about football (in season), pop culture, writing, and his family, among other things.

5. Silly Little Mischief
(http://sillylittlemischief.blogspot.com/)
Linda is another blogging bride-to-be. She's getting married a week after me!

6. Glitter for Brains
(http://glitterforbrains.blogspot.com/)
Lee is the most fabulous blogger in all of London. I discovered his blog through a mutual love of Alias.

Stephanie said...

I'm pressed for time so here are mine (and thanks Faith for listing me). All I can say about each is that they're great writers who provide interesting snippets of life for me to read:

Thordora @ Spin Me I Pulsate

Deb @ San Diego Momma

Paula @ Light Motifs

Heidi @ Daisybones

Emma @ Eriepressible

Fredlet @ Fredlet

Hard picking just six too ;)

JS said...

Do I pick local or small or big or or or? How can I choose 6?

:) I'm going with bloggers who I've known since way back when.

1. Karol from Alarming News
http://www.alarmingnews.com/

2. Jess from Blind Cavefish
http://www.blindcavefish.com/

3. Lawren from Martinis, Persistence and a Smile
http://lawrenkmills.mu.nu/

4. Julia from In Java Literally
http://javaliterally.blogspot.com/

5. The Mighty Jimbo at Digital Catharsis
http://www.digitalcatharsis.com/

And Kristina, because I feel like I've known her since way back when...

6. Kristina at KristinaWright
http://kristinawright.com/blog/

JS said...

Oops. Add...

Caren from Fig Cookies
http://figcookies.blogharbor.com/blog

Marck Bailey said...

One way or another, Faith (of Big Ideas: Help Yourself) is going to guilt me into writing on my blog again. The least I can do is start with this comment and my list of blogs.

Problem is, after you take Faith's blog out of the picture, there aren't six blogs that I regularly read. There are only five. So that's the best I can do. Here they are:

1. Parenthetical - parenthetical.blog-city.com My friend Robert keeps tabs on his trek through pop culture with short, sweet thoughts and ideas on where to go when you thought you'd explored everything there was to explore in the "Interwebs."

2. The Catharine Chronicles - www.catharinechronicles.com My niece Catharine Amanda is going to be a famous writer anyway, so you'll thank me for getting you in on her ground floor now before she becomes so famous that she has me and a slew of other freelancers writing her witty blog posts. Read now so you can go through life saying to yourself: "That's so Catharine."

3. mercy buttercup - mercybuttercup.blogspot.com Reluctant left-coaster Elizabeth is the coolest Mom west of the Mississippi. And before you ask: yes, being a great mom means teaching your kid about skeleton butts.

4. Kate Izquierdo - www.kateizquierdo.com She's known as "Squid," and she's a wonderful writer and observer of our culture, especially music. She's too cool for the midwest, so she lives in San Francisco.

5. the ridiculous panda - ohkatie.com She's the wife of a former co-worker, and she's the mother of Silas, the kid with the coolest name in Chicago. I have yet to even meet Katie or Silas, but there is something about these photos of the boy that transcend your typical "kid shots on the web." I almost feel like an uncle, watching the boy grow up.

That's all from me. Thanks for the nod.

JS said...

From my pick Caren (she's in China and can't access your blog because of teh *Great Firewall*

Dan from Otter Ponderings (maestro23.blogspot.com)
Witty, insanely creative and insightful, I’ve always been a little jealous of his talent. I wish he’d post more.

Paul from Froogville (froogville.blogspot.com
A British ex-pat living in Beijing. Gives the Party the middle finger about as often as I do, but with a higher quality of snark.

Matt from Frak Art (frakart.com)
Sarcastic, and geeky, a fantastic combination.

Belledame from Fetch Me My Axe (fetchmemyaxe.blogspot.com)
Fantastic musings on gender. I wish I were more like her.

Kate from Stitching in the Buff (www.buffaloknitter.blogspot.com/)
Life, family and knitting. How much better can you get?

Martha from In Bed With a Mosquito (inbedwithamosquito.net)
Tender and thoughtful, I wish she’d post more.