Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I love weather.

I love that my Dad's family chose to live in the midwest when they came over on the boat from Italy....they chose it in part because of the offering of four seasons. Where we're from in Italy, it gets very warm in summer, but in winter, it only gets as cold as early spring does here in the Midwest. Never any snow in the valley where they live, only in the mountains. There were lots of other considerations, as well - having a job lined up, a support network close by, etc.

But, the ability to enjoy all 4 seasons was important to them, and I'm grateful.

Lately, it has been snowing a lot. And, I find myself observing the very different "kinds" of snow that are falling....feeling like the Eskimos have it going on to have so many wonderful words to describe snow.

Yesterday, for example...the flakes were falling with a PURPOSE. They had somewhere to BE. Big, heavy flakes, not much wind. The flakes were falling like rain....straight down.

Today, the flakes are falling more leisurely, with less purpose. They are smaller and more fluffy, somehow. They are floating more than they're falling...like the journey from sky to land is so much more important than getting to ground. Yesterday, the flakes had a job....today, they are playing.

There's another storm watch advisory through Friday now - although the really big part of the storm isn't going to hit until rush hour tomorrow evening. Since I have to go to the brick and mortar office, and yesterday a 40-minute trip took 2 1/2 hours, I'm sort of not looking forward to the hazardous road conditions.

BUT...I'm also kind of excited to see what kind of snowflakes I get to meet tomorrow, too....

1 comment:

Denise Spring said...

Now that I don't have to drive in the snow as much, I actually look forward to the huge storm we're supposed to be getting in the D. I'm sure my attitude will change come college in January, but for tonight: A couple of White Russians, and lots of reading time as I watch the expected 10 inches accumulate.